Here is nice blog post that should help
I thought I’d spread the word, having gone through this twice already this week.
I Am So Smart! S-M-R-T! (or, the continuing saga of this blog being down and up and down again and back up again)
If you’ve been following this blog for any length of time (and I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume you haven’t), you’re well aware of the downtime, feed changes, URL changes, host changes, etc.
Much of the turmoil can be directly attributed to me being a cheapskate and not fixin’ things when it came fixin’-things-time.
First, I had a paid blog-hosting account on GoDaddy. That got a little pricey, so I switched to a free blog option on their service.
That broke the RSS feed, because it inserted banner ads at the top, making the XML invalid.
So I transferred to WordPress.com.
That broke the RSS feed, because I couldn’t use the domain anymore with the free service, and the URL changed.
So a few months ago, I coughed up the modest fee for domain hosting on WordPress, and got a blog running ad-free with my old domain.
That broke the RSS feed, because the old host was at nerdabilly.com/blog/feed/ and the new feed is at nerdabilly.com/feed/.
Since most people get their blogs via readers and aggregators, this was a huge problem.
So I dug and dug and tried to come up with a fix, but it seems the bargain-basement blog hosting option doesn’t allow that level of customization.
It was then that I noticed that if I add a page in WordPress, the short URL looks like a virtual path.
So I just made a page called “blog”
Voilá! (more on how much I hate that word later).
nerdabilly.com/blog/ was now a valid URL again!
Now I just needed to get that /feed path in there.
Turns out, in WordPress, if you add /feed after a page’s URL, you get a feed of the comments.
So I posted a comment on the blog page explaining the new feed URL.
Now, if you go to nerdabilly.com/blog/feed/, you get a valid RSS feed that shows an article explaining the changes. My many (and by “many” I mean roughly 7) subscribers can be updated and change their reader settings accordingly.
Ideally, I could just have the old feed URL redirect to the new feed URL, but I still haven’t learned my lesson about being a cheapskate. I’ll use the Rube Goldberg way for now.
At the end of 2010, Steve Jobs will dig a hole in the desert and fill it with iPads.
I’ve got an itch to make a Flash game where you play Steve Jobs filling up a hole with iPads. I haven’t thought this idea entirely through.
And like I always say, if I had the time to do that, I wouldn’t spend it doing that.
By now some of you are probably familiar with Crash Flash CS4’s bad crashing habit.
The majority of these crashes can be fixed with the 10.0.2 Hotfix, but I was consistently seeing one that the update didn’t fix.
On Mac OS 10.5.8, with Flash CS4 10.0.2, Flash would crash anytime I tried to add a custom component I had built and put in the Components library. I have been developing and using this component for almost 4 years, and had never seen this problem before.
I tried every fix that Google had to offer, including dumping fonts, resetting flash, deleting preferences, re-building the component, and nothing worked. Every time I tried to add that component to my Flash file, it would crash without fail. (Or maybe with fail, since it was, after all, crashing….)
I was going through everything, trying to figure out what the problem could possibly be, and I noticed that in the component’s FLA file, there was an entry that was nothing but a period underneath the other folder locations.
Removing that period and re-exporting the SWC solved the crash problem.
New Blog URL (Again) so here’s another attempt to do a Technorati claim
I’ve actually paid money to get the blog back up and running this time. Expect more updates!
Lately, this blog has been less about Flash and more about me apologizing for it not working.
So here’s an interesting article about Flash and SEO:
This is a huge step in the right direction for Flash. For many years, one of the biggest arguments against Flash was its unreadability to search engines. And really, that was one of the few remaining arguments with any merit.
Now, while I think this is a big win for Flash, I also believe it will be a few years before this makes any difference. Existing Flash sites with no SEO will have to be rebuilt, and sites built by less experienced developers will still probably avoid this altogether.
Also, please note the feed URL has changed.. it’s now http://nerdabilly.com/blog/feed/. I think the GoDaddy ads may be breaking it though so I am searching a more stable solution.